We love bringing world-class films and filmmakers to Minnesota, but we couldn't do it without you!
Here's How You Can Help (All donations are tax-deductible.)
- Make one-time donations online or via the mail. Our address is: FRFF, 160 Johnson Street, Winona MN 55987.
- Become a sustaining donor via monthly payments through Donorbox or ACH payments.
- At the Festival, purchase the Donor Premier Pass that includes a $50 donation. (Click here to purchase tickets.)
- Leave a Legacy. Add the Festival to your estate plan. Our EIN Number is: 47-3831228.
Our challenge and our shared purpose as an organization is to educate, engage, and activate our supporters and audiences. We connect our viewers with people at the heart of current events, organizations at the forefront of social change, and distinct cultures in an increasingly global community.
What We Do
Documentary films provide factual information and tell true stories; they can also be entertaining and even move the soul. Our (mission) challenge, and our shared purpose as an organization, is to show these films as a way to educate, engage, and activate our audiences to become more involved in the world around us.
Our featured program is, of course, the 5-day Film Festival held each February; average attendance is about 3,000 viewers. We are in the process of further enhancing the festival experience with these additions:
- Heighten viewer experience at the Festival by showing more films at the Winona 7 Theatre, where big screen, big sound and comfy chairs maximize viewer enjoyment and power of the films.
- Expand festival-goers' patronage of local businesses by providing free transportation to and from film venues and the downtown area.
- Work to extend our reach to greater Minnesota to provide a forum for underserved communities, artists, and stories.
- Offer year-round workshops to help foster and inspire Winona filmmakers of all ages.
- Expand opportunities for engaging with filmmakers and topical experts at downtown business destinations.
Programs Beyond the Festival
Beyond the Festival, we offer year-round programs that stimulate creativity in local filmmakers while providing opportunities for expanded film viewing. Finally, we are in the process of reaching out to schools and businesses that want to incorporate documentary films into their curricula with these innovative programs:
- "30 Seconds in Winona" is a filmmaking contest for aspiring filmmakers, young and old. Contestants enter their short films (30 seconds), often their first ever, that display their budding creative powers. These films are often funny, informative, or quirky much to the appreciation of an enthusiastic, live audience. This is a beginner's (amateur's) opportunity to test his/her skills.
- We actively solicit documentary films which universities can showcase for educational programs produced by students and faculty.
- "Driftless Filmmakers." We want to connect people in our community that want to create films. Driftless Filmmakers provides a platform to learn from one another and get expert advice from the world-class filmmakers we bring into the community for the Festival. This group of videographers, writers, actors, etc., gathers bi-weekly to share skills. We are fortunate to have seasoned filmmakers participate at the local community level. Anyone may attend. For questions, contact 507-858-7706 or email@example.com.
- "Frozen River Roadshow" is a work in progress taking documentary films to area/regional businesses and schools. This collaborative effort will facilitate educational curricula and foster community building.